Sunday, July 7, 2013

Smaller living: Making it work for us.

Although we are working on lots of home improvement projects like painting the exterior and re-doing the old bathroom, we have settled into the rest of the house nicely and it's working for us.


The dining room.
This is the darkest area of the house because on the other side of that window is a storage room that was built onto the front of the house. Hubby is using it as his Steampunk studio.


My father-in-law built these display cabinets recessed into the walls. I use them for storage.




The living room.

This room doubles as my office. We've had this same furniture for 25-30 years. I know country is out, but who cares? The wall unit holds a lot of stuff and it still looks good, so why not keep it?






And our bedroom. Very simple, but comfy!
Thanks to an idea from Alex M at Living the Small Life, I made a bed scarf out of a canvas dropcloth and my cats love to sleep on it and under it, keeping the rest of the bed fur free.

Besides Megan's bedroom, there is a third small bedroom that we use as a dressing room because it's right off the new bathroom. We have our big armoire in there. That room needs a makeover but it's not a priority right now, so we're saving it for another time.

The sun room is my favorite because it's simple and comfortable. This is where we have guests sit when they come to visit. Hubby's brother lives nearby and visits often and so does his granddaughter, (Megan's cousin).

So, from a 2350 square foot house with a basement and a two car garage to an 1100 square foot cottage, we managed to make it work. Do we miss our big house? Not at all. The one thing we do miss is our Dish Network and the DVR. The cable service here is horrible!


2 comments:

  1. My first and only home is 1000 sq feet. I've never considered it a cottage. It's just a 1950s house.
    Are you using the term because your new house is located in a secluded/ recreational area? I'm just curious.

    I've noticed people using the term and I don't know if it's just regional or what. I always find it humorous when people think a home of a normal size (before the 1970s) is so small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's a good question Sandra. I suppose I'm calling it a cottage because Clamco House didn't have quite the same ring to it. It's the smallest house I've ever lived in and it's in a waterfront community so I guess I felt it was fitting to describe it as a cottage rather than a house.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!