Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mastic is not fantastic.

Mastic is black and it's icky! Here it is on the bathroom floor after we pulled up those 2 layers of vinyl tile the other day. The whole cement floor underneath was sticky and disgusting, covered in a layer of black mastic. We put old towels on the floor and they completely adhered to it.


Oh, and notice the lovely holes in the wall around the plumbing? Well today, the hubster cut one piece of sheet rock to replace that whole disaster. He did a great job. Doesn't this look better?


I spent a few hours on my knees praying for a contractor scraping mastic off the floor with Goo Gone and a putty knife. The floor is no longer sticky so it's ready for the new vinyl tile. When I tell you that was one of the most disgusting, jobs I have ever done, well, I'm not lying. Thick, black, gooey, icky messy....and thank goodness it's done!

Meantime, the toilet and the vanity are in the workshop in the back building. Hubby was moving the toilet to get to something else and the lid to the tank fell and broke. Er....guess how much a new lid costs? A minimum of $60.00 plus shipping. And that's if you can find one to fit exactly and this is a weird brand called Mancesa made in Columbia. Guess how much a new toilet at Lowe's is? $88.00. I found a plastic lid replacement online. Not sure if I want to go that route or buy a whole new toilet. Grrr.

On the brighter side, it was a beautiful morning after having days and days of rain here, so we got up extra early to go down to the pier and watch the sunrise. The water was calm and it was so nice and quiet. I still feel like a tourist here.






2 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow you have come so far on that project! The worst is over now - onto the much nicer stuff that looks great once finished. You may want to consider a new toilet only because it may save you money on water in the long run due to being higher efficiency. One of our old houses had a faulty american standard toilet that we only found out about when the people who had a home inspector told both them and us. We quit using it that day, drained it and the new owner was happy to replace it. Isn't it so nice to love where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may just end up getting a new toilet. Maybe it was fate? I still have more wall patching and sanding to do and there is a wallpaper border near the ceiling that's hard to remove. There is a different kind of glue on borders apparently.
      Yes, it's great to love where you live! Just a quick walk or drive and we're near water. It's awesome (except for that darn tropical storm Chantal that's headed our way).

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!