At first glance, it doesn't look so bad, right?
Check out the bathtub.
It still doesn't look so bad, right? But what is that window?
Well, the new bathroom was built on the other side of that wall which was an outside wall. The shower stall was installed right over that window.
As we look a little closer, we find the bathtub.
Brace yourself.
Okay, so here's the story. When my inlaws were living here, Pop wanted to "refinish" the tub so he painted it with some kind of epoxy paint. Then Mom went stickie happy with fishies and flowers. It probably looked great when they first did it, but it's now all flaking off. So I went to work yesterday.
I removed all the stickies from the wall tile and took the shower hosey thing off as well as the hooks. Looks better already, doesn't it?
Then I started scraping off the flowers and fishies some of which were applied before painting.
I kept scraping.
I found that the old tub wasn't that bad underneath. It had just lost its glaze, but it was still in good condition.
| Before |
At least it's clean and usable, but I will continue today with my paint removal efforts. I bought a full
length white adhesive tub mat that they use in hotels to cover the bottom when I'm done. The bathroom has other major issues like 3 layers of peel and stick tile, old wallpaper, giant holes in the walls where plumbing was accessed and small holes where things were once attached to the wall.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Huge difference - you have some work ahead of you on that one. I hate those peel and sticky things that people put in bathrooms for this exact reason.
ReplyDelete