Hubby cut the Wonderboard to fit both open areas and he spackled the piece surrounding the shower head.
I started working on the tile. Hubby insisted I do it based on the fact that I have an Italian background which predisposes me to be good at masonry type work. Really? I think he was just a-scared to do it himself. Despite the obvious stereotype, I gave it my best shot.
Turned out it was the perfect job for an obsessive compulsive person because you have to make sure the spacing is equal between all the tiles. So I did a lot of squinting as I shifted tiles a little to the left, a little up here, a little down there...
The plumber cracked and chipped a couple of the beige tiles, but we decided to leave them there and just fill the chips with grout. The whole tub and surround will be replaced eventually. This is just a quick fix for the time being.
Rub-a-dub-dub. Look who's in the tub.
And now the tiles will set for 24 hours. Then we'll grout, and when that's done, we'll call the plumber who is holding the fixtures hostage. We are in turn holding 20 percent of his payment hostage. It's a mutual hostage thing.
And now the tiles will set for 24 hours. Then we'll grout, and when that's done, we'll call the plumber who is holding the fixtures hostage. We are in turn holding 20 percent of his payment hostage. It's a mutual hostage thing.
As you can see, there is still some epoxy paint left in the tub. I was unable to get the remainder off. It's holding on really tight.
Again, this will all be replaced by hubby's brother (the homeowner), when he moves back here in a few years. In the meantime, all this tiling has me thinking of other projects to tackle, like maybe the kitchen counter. Hmmm!
A can of worms has been opened! Don't go down that renovation harrowing path!
ReplyDeleteLOL!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLOL I didnt know that being Italian predisposes you to being a tile maven! Great job though. One thing about tiling the kitchen counter that we learned (at the time I loved little tiny tiles so redid the counters in our old old house) is that if you use the counters for rolling out dough and pie crusts you need a better surface than tiles to do it on...just an FYI...
ReplyDelete