Okay, my friends. This is a tale of the strange and unusual. Let me begin by explaining that we noticed all the properties in town have a water shut off near the edge of their property that look like this:
This one (above) is next door and it's hard to tell, but it's set down into a bit of a hole. We figured that these shut offs were exposed for some important reason, so hubby decided to uncover ours which was buried pretty deep. He framed it with bricks and we filled the hole with pine cones so that it didn't look like a grave and also so that nobody would fall into it because it's at the end of our driveway near the sidewalk. When he was done, it looked like this:
Only here's the thing. Those are not the pine cones we used to fill the hole. What? Let me explain.
The day we did this little project, I went over to the Eastern Shore Art Center and asked them for permission to take the big giant pine cones that had fallen from the pine tree on the front of their property. They were scattered all over the lawn. The lady at the front desk said, "Please! Bring a bucket!" So we gathered a 5 gallon bucket full of big pine cones and used them to fill our hole.
That was about two weeks ago.
This morning, hubby happened to notice that the big pine cones had all been taken.......
and replaced...........
with smaller pine cones!
On the right (below) is the type of pine cone we had collected and on the left is the type of pine cones that are now in the hole. See the difference?
That means that someone came to our property...
under the cover of darkness....
totally prepared to switch their little pine cones....
for our big ones!
What the heck?
We are toying with the idea of collecting another batch of big pine cones, putting them back in the hole and seeing if it happens again. Tell me this is not the most bizarre thing you've ever heard!
That is hilarious! I'd guess someone wanted your bigger, beautiful pinecones for fall decor. If you do switch them out again, try putting a note in a sandwich baggie just under the top layer saying something along the lines of "We got these for free and can tell you where to find them- no need to steal! Come and introduce yourself. :)" See what you can find out!!
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting idea! About a month ago I put out our recyclables for collection. I had put probably 20 or 30 jelly jars that were from the attic here in the bins with our other cans and bottles. The next morning all the jelly jars were gone from the bin. I never heard a thing.
DeleteI can see someone taking jelly jars - especially if they do any canning and give it away. That's what my mother in law did. Whenever we went there I brought our jars back. Now, the pine cones are another story! I guess it just shows you have good taste in decorating your water shut off.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm thinking about all the people who walk by, jog by, kids going to school etc. One of those people is the culprit. Perhaps they needed them for a craft project, like those bird feeders you make with peanut butter and seeds?
DeleteThat pine cone switcharoo is so weird but hilarious at the same time! Probably a little old Southern lady who thought it would just be too rude to take them without leaving something in return.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, anything put at the curb is fair game; trash-picking is serious business for some folks! They go around the day/night before trash pickup in search of good castoffs. Back in the spring, I saw two ladies out picking and their truck bed was totally loaded with "treasures." If you want to get rid of something but not have to haul it away, just put it by the curb!
It's funny, you know, I asked permission to get my pine cones and there was no problem. They could have done the same. Now I have to get some more because the hole is not filled to the top the way I had it, but I'm afraid they're going to take them again. Silly, isn't it?
DeleteAs for leaving stuff at the curb, my late mother in law had hundreds of potted plants on the property. We had put about 10 on the curb with a free sign and they disappeared fast. We still haven't figured out what day is "trash" day in this neighborhood. I haven't spied any good junk at the curbs around here yet. The dump is close by and I think a lot of people just bring their stuff over there themselves so as not to degrade the area with their crap left out.
How weird, now you will have to start peering out your windows for pinecone snatchers :)
ReplyDeleteLet me tell you that those big pine cones filled a 5 gallon bucket and then some, so they had to have come prepared with a big bag or a box. This was a well thought out heist I tell you! The funny part is that they replaced them with other pine cones. How polite? How strange? It's mind boggling, curious and sort of funny I guess.
DeleteThat's just...odd. At least they didnt just take the big pine cones and leave you with an empty hole. Southerners are so polite like that!
ReplyDeleteI'd put a video or surveillance camera trained on the area one night after replacing them and see if they came back again. lol
ReplyDeleteJust out of curiosity I searched completed listings of extra large pine cones. You may want to list them next time, instead of using them..
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, I've thought about it, however, I worry about any bug infestation that might be hiding inside the pine cones.
Delete